Sunday, July 2, 2017

Flash Fiction Contest Winner #32


Thank you to our entrants! Both were very good pieces, but our winner this time is Audrey Rich, whose story had a nice little twist to it. Congrats, Audrey!

***

I bury my head in my mom’s body avoiding the fingers.
“Fiery, be brave. You’re almost up.”
“I don’t want to. Let me stay with you.”
She clears her throat. “You can’t. We’re all preparing to go. And the smallest are first.”
“I’m scared.” My body and hair jiggle.
“This is what we were made for.” Her body touches mine. “It’ll be fine.”
My voice rises two decibels, “It won’t. We’re about to die.”
She frowns. “We give mini-thrills, so step up, Firecracker.”
The fingers reach for me, holding me tight, before the excruciating heat consumes me.
Pop!
I’m dying...

1 comment:

Nick Wilford said...

Sounds like it was some sort of cult. Great piece!